Sunday, February 25, 2024

Interview with Thomas Raahauge / Entrevista a Thomas Raahauge

Interview with Thomas Raahauge

In the corners of DevianArt, I found an incredible person who shared answers to my questions about his writing, his name is Thomas Raahauge.
He lives in the small Danish market town of Nakskov, you can find him in DevianArt as TigerEgern. This, he told me, means TigerSquirrel in Danish. TigerEgern was his chat name alias and chatsona, that he used in purely text-based chat forums, so in a way, it was also his fursona, though Furry-ism wasn't a thing in Denmark back then.

"I still don't have an actual fursona, but a fellow deviant designed my logo, which is a tiger-striped squirrel, muck akin to my chatsona, that was a squirrel with notoriously short attention span and a bubbly child-like behavior. At least according to a pair of university researchers, who worked on a paper on online chat forums and chatsonas. When sending private messages, however, I did not use my chatsona."
"I still maintain this distinction to some extent, though in a somewhat more mature way. I was in my early 20's when I was active on the chat forum, and am now in my 50's."

I asked him:  When did you start writing and why?

"I always enjoyed writing, but I had great problems staying focused. Four years ago, a cousin of mine performed a session of thought field therapy on me, and she helped me dislodge a mental blockade, that stemmed from my PTSD-like symptoms. After the session, I went home, slept for well over 12 hours, and the next morning, I promptly began writing (in Danish, of course). Within three months, I had completed a +400 pages fantasy novel, as well as a large body of poetry, short stories, and essays. I have been writing almost daily ever since."

What inspires your work?

"The fantasy novel was inspired by two pieces of colored glass I have on the windowsill of my living room. It just started out with a girl, who goes to the basement of her house, looking for a glass marble that she lost. I had no idea where the story would go, but I just wrote away. The girl is somewhat based on my daughter, and most of the main characters are molded after either traits I carry, or traits of people I met, or whose YouTube channels I watched.

The colored glass in question is:

 

 

The poems, short stories, and essays in the compilations were inspired by what were then current events, memories, intrusive thoughts, and events in my larger family. Mom was from Greenland, so I have both a Danish and a Greenlandic Inuit family to find inspiration from.


I later on joined DeviantArt, and soon after began to write random scribbles as comments to whatever pictures that somehow inspired me.

As of now, I am inspired by images I come across, here at DeviantArt. Scribbles sort of pop up in my head, and bounce around, until I write and post them. Some of my fellow deviants provide a nearly endless supply of inspiration, and I have posted hundreds of poems and other scribbles. Some deviants strike the nerve on a less regular basis, but still in some quantity. And every now and then, I come across a random image from a random fellow deviant, that just inspires one scribble. But it always starts out with the same pop-up in my head, and it happens instantly."

Do you always write in Devianart or do you participate in other pages?

"Deviantart is the only forum or page, where I write. My Danish writing has so far made it to my computer, and a single print-out on my Dad's printer."

Do you have a favorite writer?

"I have several favorite writers, depending on my mood. I enjoy reading Nevil Shute's novels, and there are a number of Danish writers, whose work I return to, now and then. I also read a lot of non-fiction. I am a history geek with a keen interest in the Roman Empire, so I have dozens of books on the subject, that I re-read from time to time. I also read biographies, especially of politicians. The most random non-fiction I have read is a 1930's Danish two-volume work on the history, development, and practical aspects of steel making."

Are you planning on writing a book or do you have one finished? These days it's easy to self-publish your work.

"I have already written the aforementioned fantasy novel, but haven't found anyone to read it. I wouldn't publish it until someone read it. I have no further plans of publishing. Not at the moment, at least."

Is there any book or poem that marked your life?

"The 1985 Danish translation of the 1982 novel 'La casa de los espíritus' by Isabella Allende was the first 'grown-up' novel I read, and to me, it was my first step into adulthood, when it comes to reading. The Danish historian Peter Ørsted's 'Caesar' was the first non-fiction I read out of free will, and I re-read it at least once a year."

Is there a genre that you like the most?

"It varies greatly with my mood. I love sci-fi, fantasy, and graphic novels. If I have to single out just one, it would be sci-fi."

Are you working on something now? Do you plan ahead your short stories or do you sit and let your mind flow in the moment? (meaning are you a plotter or a pantser).

"I am still writing almost daily. I am slowly writing a furry-inspired serial kept in a light-hearted style, written somewhat out of sequence and at random, with numerous non-sequential parts".

The series can be found here:
https://www.deviantart.com/tigeregern/gallery/89717248/furs-of-fury

Other than writing, what other activities do you like to do?

"I love to play computer, and to take photos. I read a lot, and I collect colored glass, and have kept a lot of my daughter's old plushies".

Is there any advice for people starting in the art of writing that you like to share?

"Find inspiration in the little things. An early dandelion or snowdrop. A bumble bee resting in a flower. The sound of children playing across the street. From there on, anything can happen.

Collect and cherish old people's memories and tall tales. Their words are always relevant.

Read books, look at paintings, listen to music. Art is gourmet food for the soul, and art widens your horizon".

With this last question, I conclude my little interview with Thomas, or as they know him on DevianArt: TigerEgern. I find his work inspiring and incredible, I really hope that at some point he publishes the aforementioned fantasy novel.

Thank you to this great writer who let me enter his world and to everyone who reads these words.

 

Once again you can find his work in DevianArt 

https://www.deviantart.com/tigeregern/gallery/89717248/furs-of-fury



Entrevista a Thomas Raahauge

En los rincones de DevianArt, encontré una persona increíble que compartió respuestas a mis preguntas sobre sus escrituras, su nombre es Thomas Raahauge.
Vive en la pequeña ciudad comercial danesa de Nakskov, puedes encontrarlo en DevianArt como TigerEgern. Me dijo que significa TigreArdilla en danés. TigerEgern era su alias de nombre de chat y chatsona en foros de chat puramente basado en texto que usaba, así que en cierto modo, también era su fursona, aunque el furryismo no existía en Dinamarca en ese entonces.

"Todavía no tengo una fursona real, pero un compañero en DeviantArt diseñó mi logo, que es una ardilla con rayas de tigre, similar a mi chatsona, que era una ardilla con una capacidad de atención notoriamente corta y un comportamiento alegre e infantil. Al menos así lo afirman un par de investigadores universitarios que trabajaron en un artículo sobre foros de chat en línea y chatsonas. Sin embargo, cuando enviaba mensajes privados no utilizaba mi chatsona".
"Aún mantengo esta distinción hasta cierto punto, aunque de una manera algo más madura. Tenía poco más de 20 años cuando estaba activo en el foro de chat y ahora tengo 50 años".

Le pregunté: ¿Cuándo empezaste a escribir y por qué?

"Siempre disfruté escribir, pero tenía grandes problemas para mantener la concentración. Hace cuatro años, una prima mía me realizó una sesión de terapia de campo de pensamiento y me ayudó a desalojar un bloqueo mental que surgía de mis síntomas similares al trastorno de estrés postraumático. Después de la sesión, me fui a casa, dormí más de 12 horas y a la mañana siguiente comencé rápidamente a escribir (en danés, por supuesto). En tres meses, había completado una novela de fantasía de más de 400 páginas, así como una una gran cantidad de poesía, cuentos y ensayos. He estado escribiendo casi a diario desde entonces".

¿Qué inspira tu trabajo?

"La novela de fantasía se inspiró en dos piezas de vidrio de colores que tengo en el alféizar de la ventana de mi sala de estar. Comenzó con una niña que va al sótano de su casa en busca de una canica de vidrio que perdió. No tenía idea de hacia dónde iría la historia, pero aun así la escribí. La niña se basa en cierta medida en mi hija, y la mayoría de los personajes principales están moldeados según los rasgos que tengo, o los rasgos de las personas que conocí o cuyos canales de YouTube vi.

El vidrio coloreado en cuestión es:

Los poemas, cuentos y ensayos de las compilaciones se inspiraron en lo que entonces eran acontecimientos actuales, recuerdos, pensamientos intrusivos y acontecimientos de mi familia en general. Mamá era de Groenlandia, así que tengo una familia inuit danesa y groenlandesa en la que encontrar inspiración.


Más tarde me uní a DeviantArt y poco después comencé a escribir garabatos al azar como comentarios sobre cualquier imagen que de alguna manera me inspirara.

A partir de ahora, me inspiro en las imágenes que encuentro aquí en DeviantArt. Los garabatos aparecen en mi cabeza y rebotan hasta que los escribo y los publico. Algunos de mis compañeros Deviants brindan una fuente casi infinita de inspiración y he publicado cientos de poemas y otros garabatos. Algunos Deviants tocan la fibra sensible con menos regularidad, pero aún en cierta cantidad. Y de vez en cuando, me encuentro con una imagen aleatoria de un compañero Deviant que simplemente inspira algo. Pero siempre comienza con la misma ventana emergente en mi cabeza y sucede instantáneamente"

¿Siempre escribes en Devianart o participas en otras páginas?

"Deviantart es el único foro o página donde escribo. Hasta ahora, mis escritos daneses han llegado a mi computadora y una sola copia impresa a la impresora de mi papá".

¿Tienes un escritor favorito?


"Tengo varios escritores favoritos, dependiendo de mi estado de ánimo. Disfruto leyendo las novelas de Nevil Shute, y hay varios escritores daneses a cuyos trabajos vuelvo de vez en cuando. También leo mucha literatura de no ficción. Soy un fanático de la historia con un gran interés en el Imperio Romano, por lo que tengo docenas de libros sobre el tema, que releo de vez en cuando. También leo biografías, especialmente de políticos. La no ficción más aleatoria que he leído es una obra danesa de dos volúmenes de la década de 1930 sobre la historia, el desarrollo y los aspectos prácticos de la fabricación de acero.

¿Estás pensando en escribir un libro o ya tienes uno terminado? Hoy en día es fácil publicar de forma independiente tu trabajo.

"Ya escribí la novela de fantasía antes mencionada, pero no he encontrado a nadie que la lea. No la publicaría hasta que alguien la lea. No tengo más planes de publicarla. Al menos no por el momento".

¿Hay algún libro o poema que marcó tu vida?


"La traducción danesa de 1985 de la novela de 1982 'La casa de los espíritus' de Isabella Allende fue la primera novela 'para adultos' que leí y, para mí, fue mi primer paso hacia la edad adulta en lo que respecta a la lectura. 'César' del historiador danés Peter Ørsted fue la primera no ficción que leí por libre albedrío y la releo al menos una vez al año."

¿Hay algún género que te guste más?

"Varía mucho según mi estado de ánimo. Me encanta la ciencia ficción, la fantasía y las novelas gráficas. Si tuviera que destacar sólo una, sería la ciencia ficción".

¿Estás trabajando en algo ahora? ¿Planificas con anticipación tus historias cortas o te sientas y dejas que tu mente fluya en el momento? (es decir, ¿eres un planeador o un improvisador)?

"Sigo escribiendo casi a diario. Poco a poco estoy escribiendo una serie de inspiración furry mantenida en un estilo alegre, escrita algo fuera de secuencia y al azar, con numerosas partes no secuenciales".

La serie se puede encontrar aquí:

https://www.deviantart.com/tigeregern/gallery/89717248/furs-of-fury

Además de escribir, ¿qué otras actividades te gusta hacer?

"Me encanta jugar al ordenador y tomar fotografías. Leo mucho, colecciono cristales de colores y conservo muchos de los viejos peluches de mi hija".

¿Hay algún consejo para las personas que se inician en el arte de escribir que te gustaría compartir?

"Encuentra inspiración en las pequeñas cosas. Un diente de león temprano o una campanilla de invierno. Un abejorro descansando en una flor. El sonido de los niños jugando al otro lado de la calle. A partir de ahí, cualquier cosa puede suceder.

Colecciona y atesora los recuerdos y los cuentos fantásticos de las personas mayores. Sus palabras siempre son relevantes.

Leer libros, mirar cuadros, escuchar música. El arte es alimento gourmet para el alma, y ​​el arte amplía tus horizontes".

Con esta última pregunta concluyo mi pequeña entrevista con Thomas, o como lo conocen en DevianArt: TigerEgern. Su trabajo me parece inspirador e increíble, realmente espero que en algún momento publique la mencionada novela de fantasía.

Gracias a este gran escritor que me dejó entrar en su mundo y a todos los que leen estas palabras.

Una vez más podéis encontrar su trabajo en DevianArt.

https://www.deviantart.com/tigeregern/gallery/89717248/furs-of-fury




No comments:

Post a Comment